A literacy program in local elementary schools with the goal of every child reading by 3rd grade
The Education Connection is a wonderful way to volunteer and share your gifts with children in our local neighborhood. The commitment is to read 30 minutes each week from November – May. First Church is partnering with the Education Connection (see more information below) and the Round Rock Independent School District. If this interests you, here are the steps to take to get involved.
Training Dates for 2019:
- Wednesday, Sept 25, 6:30 – 8:30 pm, HCBC Austin Lakeline
- Friday, Sept 27, 8:30 – 10:30 am, First United Methodist Church, Round Rock
- Wednesday, Oct 9, 8:30 – 10:30 am, Palm Valley Lutheran Church, Round Rock
- Saturday, Oct 19, 8:30 – 10:30 am, RRISD Hopewell Administration Bldg., Round Rock
Here’s how to register for the training:
- Let us know that you are interested in volunteering at a Round Rock school by completing the
- Then please go to the Education Connection Volunteer Tracker and choose the school(s) at which you’d like to read. First Church has partnered with Callison Elementary. If you do not have a school of preference, please consider volunteering your time at Callison.
About Education Connection
A few years ago, the church community asked city leaders what we could do to make a lasting impact in our city. The answer was simple: help them fight illiteracy and school dropout rates. Last year, more than 740 volunteer literacy partners served six school districts across Central Texas, sitting down with elementary children each week for 30 minutes to read one-on-one. With the program growing rapidly and with more and more children in need of special attention, there’s a place for you to make a difference in a child’s life and education. Consider investing just 30 minutes a week in a school near you, and bless the life of a child. Click to visit Education Connection website.