The Advent theme for our worship services, preaching and special events is The Rose: Cultivating Hope. In light of Hurricane Harvey and horrifying violence, which happened not far from us, we gather to draw on and proclaim hope. From Ring Noel by our Handbell ministry on Saturday, December 2, to The Winter Rose by our Choral Union and Orchestra, and Gather Round by our CrossRoads Band on Sunday, December 10, to Christmas Eve in five worship services, we celebrate the often-overlooked, developing, joyous hope we have in Christ. Jesus came to a broken and hurting world on that first Advent and Christ still comes to us today.
People will choose to cultivate lots of things this Advent: fear, anger, revenge, despair, hate. We choose to cultivate hope – a hope that is true and lasting in Jesus Christ!
December 3 – Candle of Hope
- Sermon Title: “The Unattractive Stump”
- Scripture: Isaiah 11:1-9
December 10 – Candle of Peace
- Advent Special: The Winter Rose by Choral Union & Orchestra, 8:30 and 11 am in the Sanctuary. Gather Round by the CrossRoads Band, 9:40 am in the Family Life Center
December 17 – Candle of Joy
- Sermon Title: “The New Harvest – Better Than Ever”
- Scripture: Isaiah 35:1-10
December 24 – Candle of Love – Christmas Eve
- 10 am: A service of Lessons and Carols in the Sanctuary
December 24 – Christ Candle – Christmas Eve, 5, 7, 9 and 11 pm
- Sermon Title: “A Stable-Side Chat About Hope”
- Scripture: Luke 2:8-20