Stephen Ministry at First Church
“And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your mind in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:7
Interested in becoming a Stephen Minister?
Don’t Miss Stephen Ministry Recruitment Sunday on May 21,2017
New Stephen Ministry training classes form each year. Join us for a Q&A session on Sundays in July at 9:45 am in Payne Cottage to learn more about Stephen Ministry (dates to be announced). And don’t miss the Stephen Ministry Recruitment Sunday on May 21 – there will be information and people scattered around the campus so you can get your questions answered.
And don’t forget that you can always talk to any of the Stephen Leaders (listed at the bottom of the page) at any time! They would love to chat with you!
Stephen Ministry is…
a program of our congregation that equips lay persons to provide distinctively Christian one-to-one care to those who are experiencing all kinds of life needs and circumstances, both in our congregation and community.
Stephen Ministers are committed Christian people who…
- express God’s care through their lives to others;
- receive 50 hours of initial training in important caring ministry skills and concepts;
- are commissioned as Stephen Ministers after completing their initial training;
- visit another person regularly and dependably offer Christian support and care;
- participate in regular support and supervision under the guidance of trained Stephen leaders;
- are committed to preserving the confidential nature of the caring relationship;
- serve for at least two years;
- receive continuing education and skill building throughout their years of service.
Stephen Ministries and H.E.R.O.E.S. Care…a new ministry partnership
Our Stephen Ministers are now partnering with H.E.R.O.E.S. Care, a collaborative effort designed to provide complete and proactive support for members of all branches of the military and their families through pre-deployment, deployment, family reintegration and post-deployment. The H.E.R.O.E.S. Care program consists of a network of tens of thousands of trained caregivers and thousands of professional mental health care and service providers working together to provide an unprecedented system of support for military members and their families.
With many military families in our church and community, and our proximity to Ft. Hood, First Church is uniquely situated to provide a specialized level of care for military members and families. Several of our Stephen Ministers, along with Stephen Ministers from Palm Valley Lutheran, Grace Presbyterian and others, have completed specialized training by H.E.R.O.E.S. Care staff and are in the process of being paired with those who need their care. The jargon is a bit different. First Church is now a H.E.R.O.E.S. Care Outpost and our Stephen Ministers are Hometown Support Volunteers!
The VA has recognized that the collaboration with Stephen Ministers is critical in streamlining the process to provide timely and effective services. This partnership supplements and enhances the VA’s ability to address recognized needs of military families in the communities where they live.
Our Stephen Ministers are excited and honored to be in partnership with H.E.R.O.E.S. Care.
About the Leaders of Our Congregation’s Stephen Ministry…
Stephen Leaders are pastors, church staff, and/or lay persons who have completed a seven-day Stephen Series Leader’s Training Course and are commissioned to lead the Stephen Ministry of our congregation.
Our congregation’s Stephen Leaders can…
- help you or someone you know receive care from a Stephen Minister;
- tell you how to become a Stephen Minister;
- tell you about Stephen Ministry training and our next training class;
- answer other questions about our congregation’s Stephen Ministry program.
How You Can Support Our Congregation’s Stephen Ministry…
- Pray for our Stephen Leaders and Stephen Ministers as they provide Christian care to others.
- Pray for all who are receiving confidential care through the Stephen Ministry of our congregation.
- Tell Stephen Leaders about those who might benefit from the care of a Stephen Minister; be sure to get that person’s permission first!
- Tell others in our community about the availability of our congregation’s Stephen Ministry and the care it can provide.
- Receive Stephen Ministry when you are in need of supportive Christian care.
- Consider Serving as a Stephen Minister.
- Support Stephen Ministry with your financial gifts.
If you would like more information about Stephen Ministry, contact a Stephen Leader at email@example.com or call:
Rev. Marion Childress-Usher, 512-272-4086, Carol Crawford, 512-775-5339, Michael Heath, 512-348-7624,
Charlene Terrell, 512-255-0001, Rachel Albin, 512-762-2136, or Janet Crockett, 281-658-8465.