August 10, 2018
First Church Kids
- Sunday School, 9:30 am. Preschool, Bldg. 2/Pods; Elementary, Bldg. 5/upstairs
- Preschool Promotion Sunday, August 19. All preschool children (age 2 through starting Kindergarten this fall) will promote to their new classrooms. All will remain in Bldg.2, but may be in a different Pod – A, B or C. Please take your child to their current classroom and the teachers and staff will escort them to their new classroom during Sunday School. You will pick them up in their new classroom.
- Bible Buddies is a program designed for children, ages 3 & 4 (by September 1st of the current school year), at the 8:30 and 11 am worship services. Children participating in Bible Buddies will begin the service in the sanctuary with their parent. The children leave with the Bible Buddies volunteer and go to Bldg. 2 to hear a Bible story and do a craft or activity for the remainder of the worship service. Parents pick up the children following the 8:30 am service in Suite/Pod B and following the 11 am service in Suite/Pod A. For the safety of all, parents must sign in their child(ren) and make a nametag at the Bible Buddy cart in the foyer prior to service. Fill out a new form each new school year.
- Spring Cleaning? Children’s Ministry mission for the summer will be donating school supplies! When school is out and your child brings home their backpack and supplies, encourage them to bring any gently used school supplies to donate to the summer Sunday School offering.
First Church Student/Youth Ministry
- Sunday School, 9:30 am – 6th-12th grades, Bldg. 5/upstairs
- Student Ministries Kick Off, August 19, 5:30-7:30 pm. We are starting our fall programming off with BLAST. All middle school and high school students, as well as their parents, are invited to join us Sunday, August 19. We will have food, inflatables, games, and fun. There will be a short parents meeting during the event.
- Ignite – New name for Student Ministries Programming for the Fall. Our Sunday night programming will run from 6:00 to 7:30 pm. Mealtime will be optional, beginning at 5:30 pm in Payne Cottage. Middle School and High School will both meet on Sunday nights but will meet in different areas and have separate programming. Middle School in Bldg. 5, upstairs. High School in the Family Life Center/Bldg. 3.
First Church Adults
- DISCIPLE BIBLE STUDY – Now Registering! Long-term classes offered this year: DISCIPLE I – Wednesday mornings; DISCIPLE III – Wednesday mornings and Wednesday evenings; Invitation to John (short term 11-week class) Wednesday mornings; Invitation to Romans (short term 9-week class) Monday evenings. Classes begin August 29. Sign up on the website or call Rae at the office.
- New 8-Week Adult Sunday School Series, Aug. 12-Sept. 30 A Faith That Matters invites us into a deeper and more active commitment to Christ. Each week, a different video presenter, including Adam Hamilton and Rob Fuquay, shares personal faith experiences. Where/When: Sundays, 9:40 am, Bldg. 5, Rm. 136. Contact Debby Utley(email@example.com) for information. All are welcome. No registration needed.
- Women’s Wednesday Bible Study begins September 5 at 9:30 am or 6:30 pm in Bldg. 5-232/234.Contact Janet Reynolds, firstname.lastname@example.org or 512-255-7198.
- Women’s Tuesday Bible Study begins September 11 at 9:30 am in Bldg. 5-122.
- First Church Crafters meet Tuesdays at 9:30 am at the 115 Winsted House.
- Brown Bag Theologians meet Tuesdays at 12:30 pm in Bldg. 5-122. Join the pastor each week as we discuss the upcoming Sunday’s scripture and sermon topic. We combine lively discussion with prayer time for our First Church prayer requests.
- Heart to Heart Quilt Ministry meets on Thursdays at 9:30 am at 115 Winsted House. Since 1999, the Heart to Heart Quilt Ministry has given 1400+ quilts to infants and children to age 17, who are experiencing catastrophic illnesses or other difficult situations. The members pray over each the quilt, hoping that each child will feel God’s love. Come and join our hands-on ministry. All—beginners to masters — are welcome.
- Women’s Book Club meets on the first Tuesday of every month, 11:30 am – 1:00 pm, in Adkins Bldg. 5 – 127. September 4 Book Selection: The Woman Who Smashed Codes by Jason Fagone. Elizebeth Smith Friedman, a Quaker teacher and poetry scholar, has been an unsung heroine of America’s codebreaking history. This book is a true story of love, spies, and the unlikely, unassuming woman who outwitted America’s enemies at home and abroad from the Great War to the Cold War.
Upcoming Adult events:
- Aug. 21 – UMW Speaker on Human Trafficking, 9:30 am, Bldg. 5-232/234
- Sept. 11 – A Matter of Balance, new class, 10 am, Bldg. 5-148
- Sept. 11 — Community Bible Study begins, 6:30 pm, Bldg. 5-223/224
- Sept. 16 – Pastor’s Sunday evening Bible Study, 5:30 pm, Sanctuary foyer
- Oct. 7 – Kiev Symphony Orchestra and Choir, Sanctuary
- Oct. 13 – UMW Women Renewed; speaker, lunch & fashion show, 9:30 am, FLC
First Church Young Adults
- The Network – Young Professionals Group. The Network is primarily a fellowship group but we’ve added a conversation about the intersection between faith and life in the 21st century. We’ll watch a TED talk (or something comparable) and have some guided discussion. Plus snacks! Find more information, including a link to our Facebook page, by searching “network” at fumc-rr.org, or contact Faith Bradshaw, email@example.com.
First Church Missions
- First Church’s Mission Panama 2018 – gearing up for our 4th mission trip! Our mission team raises funds to purchase common antibiotics and medicines to take with us for the doctors and nurses to use in clinics. Each team member will also take one extra suitcase filled with over-the-counter items. See the list on the back of the bulletin. Bring your donations to the sanctuary and Family Life Center foyers or to the church office by Sunday, August 19th. We also need a few more suitcases. If you have a large, wheeled suitcase that you’d like to donate, please contact Rae Frenette,512.255.3336 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We also need your prayers for a safe and effective journey. We will have our prayer bracelets available again in the foyers before each service on Sunday, August 12 and 19. Make a donation and choose a bracelet that you can wear to remind you to pray for us!
- Round Rock Helpers are ready to serve! Round Rock Helpers exists to provide services (typically 3 hours or less over a couple of work sessions) to seniors, the disabled and others with minor repairs. If you or someone you know needs help, or for more information, please contact Fred Clark at 512-450-4398.
- Footprints Children’s Grief Ministry. Footprints offers 10-week workshops to children in the community who have suffered the loss of a loved one through divorce or death. These classes help the children work through their grief from a “You are not alone” aspect. The workshops are offered free of charge to the children and their families. If you would like to donate, go to the website, fpcgm.org.
- Help Feed our Children—The First Church Backpack Project needs YOU! This coming school year we will be serving Wells Branch and Bluebonnet Elementary. This project takes a small commitment and means so much. To learn more, contact Terri Bowden at email@example.com.
- Meals On Wheels — Adopt A Route. M.O.W. provides hot, home-delivered meals, five days a week to those, due to illness, age or disability, are unable to provide proper nutrition for themselves. We begin deliveries at 10:30 am, Monday—Friday, and a route takes less than 2 hours. We love to have families with children deliver meals and this could be a summer family mission project. Call Rose Dietrich to see where you can serve—512-255-4970. (Located at the Baca Center, 301 W. Bagdad).
- Senior Access Needs More Drivers. Go to their webpage, senioraccesstx.org or call 512-310-1060 to learn more about this community service to our elderly neighbors.
- Round Rock Area Serving Center Needs Your Help! Volunteers are needed! Can you give just 3 hours per week? There are a variety of jobs. One is right for you! Great for service hours! New volunteer orientation is on the 1st and 3rd Tuesdays at 4 pm; other orientations by special arrangement. 1099 E. Main St. Call 512-244-2431.
First Church Opportunities
- Dedicating the altar flowers. You may dedicate the altar flowers on Sunday mornings in honor or in memory of someone, or a special occasion. The arrangement costs $75.00 and our florist handles everything. We are still booking dates in 2018. Please call Wanell at 512-255-3336 to reserve your special date.
- Be a Communion Server. Please consider participating in the church as a communion server. We need volunteers for the Sanctuary and Crossroad Services. If you are interested and would like to receive information about this volunteer opportunity, please contact Rae Frenette, firstname.lastname@example.org, 512-255-3336.
- We Love Adult Volunteers in Children’s Sunday School. Preschool and Elementary Sunday School is made possible because of our wonderful volunteers! You will have the opportunity to teach or shepherd in Sunday School or Bible Buddies. We are seeking volunteers for 4-5 week rotations. All lessons and materials are provided. Contact Jennifer Hall, email@example.com or 512-255-3336,
- We are looking for a few GREAT Volunteers. Come volunteer with us in the office and learn more about your church, staff and the programs here. We have daily shifts 9am – 1 pm, and 1 – 4 pm and on the job training. Come join us. Contact Wanell Soslow, firstname.lastname@example.org or 512-255-3336.