September 28, 2018
First Church Kids – get all of the Children’s Ministries information here
- Sunday School, 9:30 am. Preschool, Bldg. 2/Pods; Elementary, Bldg. 5/upstairs
- Bible Buddies is a program designed for children, ages 3 & 4 (by September 1st of the current school year), at the 8:30 and 11 am worship services. Children participating in Bible Buddies will begin the service in the sanctuary with their parent. The children leave with the Bible Buddies volunteer and go to Bldg. 2 to hear a Bible story and do a craft or activity for the remainder of the worship service. Parents pick up the children following the 8:30 am service in Suite/Pod B and following the 11 am service in Suite/Pod A. For the safety of all, parents must sign in their child(ren) and make a nametag at the Bible Buddy cart in the foyer prior to service. Fill out a new form each new school year.
- Calling all 3rd to 5th graders! We are excited to announce that the October and November, J-Team events will be at a different time, 5-7 pm, and will include pizza! We will stay on campus for these two events. This will allow families with children or youth, who want to attend the new pastoral Bible study on Revelation, to all be on campus at the same time.
First Church Student/Youth Ministry – get all of the Student/Youth Ministry information here
- Sunday School, 9:30 am – 6th-12th grades, Bldg. 5/upstairs
- Ignite – Student Ministries Programming – Our Sunday night programming runs from 6:00 to 7:30 pm. Mealtime is optional, beginning at 5:30 pm in Payne Cottage. Middle School and High School both meet on Sunday nights but meet in different areas and with separate programming. Middle School in Bldg. 5, upstairs. High School in the Family Life Center/Bldg. 3.
- WILDFIRE! Wednesday Night Programming for Middle School Students: Mentorship Program begins at 6:45 with a short large group devotional time lead by Jodi Marfell, and then our Middle School Students break into small groups lead by some of our outstanding older High School Students. It is a great opportunity for your student to grow in their faith and build a role model type relationship with an older teen. It ends at 7:30 pm.
For High School Students: We offer an in-depth Bible study for students looking to deepen their faith. This program is led by Diane Bouchard and Beth Wade and runs from 8-9 pm.
- REGISTRATION IS OPEN for Camp Eagle 2019!!!October 1st is a big day! Register and pay your deposit by October 1st and not only do you get to take advantage of Early Bird Pricing, but you also get entered into a drawing. One lucky registrant will get their remaining balance paid off.
Upcoming Student Ministry events:
- High School Camp Out & Hiking Trip, October 6 & 7, Cedar Breaks Camp @ Lake Georgetown. $30.00
- Middle School Ignite At the Park, Oct. 7, 5:30-7:30 pm, Pepper Rock Park
- Fields of Faith, Wednesday, Oct. 10, 6:30-8:30 pm, Kelly Reeves Stadium
First Church Adults – get all of the Adult Ministries information here
- Our newest Sunday School class: By the Book
We meet on Sundays at 9:40 am in Bldg 5, Room 148 and have a variety of teachers and leaders this season. Our first study uses the book “What the Prayers of Jesus Tell Us About the Heart of God” by Shane Stanford. Join us for this 5-week study on the true meaning and impact of words Jesus prayed.You are invited to join us regularly or occasionally as we fit in with your schedule and your topic interests. Coming topics include: Who You are in Christ (how our faith in Jesus changes our self-perception); Seasons of the Year and Sacraments led by Dr. John Clifford; studies on Galatians, Colossians, Philemon and Mark just to name a few! Bring a friend! Contact Ted Keller or Sam Kyzar if you want more information.
- New Fall Bible Study begins Thursday, October 11, 7:00 pm, Bldg. 5-127
Join us for a six week Bible Study entitled “Does It Make Sense to be a Christian?” Hear the evidence that backs up your faith and how that evidence helps you to both defend and proclaim the reason for your hope in Jesus Christ. Topics include: The book of God’s Words; The book of God’s works; What do the gospels say about who Jesus was? Why did Jesus have to die on the cross? Was the resurrection essential? and Grace. Orientation is Thursday, October 11, with study sessions from October 18 – November 29 (off on November 22 for Thanksgiving). Register here or contact James Lehrmann at firstname.lastname@example.org
- ADULT SUNDAY SCHOOL SERIES, thru Sept. 30. A Faith That Matters, invites us into a deeper and more active commitment to Christ. Each week, a different video presenter, including Adam Hamilton and Rob Fuquay, shares personal faith experiences. Where/When: Sundays, 9:40, Bldg. 5, Rm. 136. Contact Debby Utley(email@example.com) for information. All are welcome. No registration needed.
- Women’s Wednesday Bible Study began September 5 at 9:30 am or 6:30 pm in Bldg. 5-232/234.Contact Janet Reynolds, firstname.lastname@example.org or 512-255-7198.
- Women’s Tuesday Bible Study begins September 11 at 9:30 am in Bldg. 5-122. Contact Denise Blomquist, email@example.com.
- First Church Crafters meet Tuesdays at 9:30 am at the 115 Winsted House.
- Brown Bag Theologians meet Tuesdays at 12:30 pm in Bldg. 5-122. Join the pastor each week as we discuss the upcoming Sunday’s scripture and sermon topic. We combine lively discussion with prayer time for our First Church prayer requests.
- Heart to Heart Quilt Ministry meets on Thursdays at 9:30 am at 115 Winsted House. Since 1999, the Heart to Heart Quilt Ministry has given 1400+ quilts to infants and children to age 17, who are experiencing catastrophic illnesses or other difficult situations. The members pray over each the quilt, hoping that each child will feel God’s love. Come and join our hands-on ministry. All—beginners to masters — are welcome.
- Women’s Book Club meets on the first Tuesday of every month, 11:30 am – 1:00 pm, in Adkins Bldg. 5 – 127.October 2 selection: The Accidental Empress by Allison Pataki. In 1853, Emperor Franz Joseph is young, rich, and ready to marry. When his betrothed arrives at his court, he is smitten with her younger sister, 15-year-old “Sisi,” Duchess of Bavaria. Thus begins the captivating saga of the beloved “Fairy Queen” of the Habsburg Empire.
Upcoming Adult events:
- Oct. 7 – Kiev Symphony Orchestra and Choir, Sanctuary – free concert at 6 pm.
- Oct. 7 – Welcome Home, 12:15 pm, FLC. Get more information and register here.
- Oct. 13 – UMW Women Renewed; speaker, lunch & fashion show, 9:30 am, FLC. Register here.
First Church Young Adults
- The Network – Young Professionals Group. The Network is primarily a fellowship group but we’ve added a conversation about the intersection between faith and life in the 21st century. We’ll watch a TED talk (or something comparable) and have some guided discussion. Plus snacks! Find more information, including a link to our Facebook page, by searching “network” at fumc-rr.org, or contact Faith Bradshaw, firstname.lastname@example.org.
First Church Missions
- First Church’s Mission Panama 2018 – our team has returned! Read about their time in Santiago, Panama here.
- Round Rock Helpers are ready to serve! Round Rock Helpers exists to provide services (typically 3 hours or less over a couple of work sessions) to seniors, the disabled and others with minor repairs. If you or someone you know needs help, or for more information, please contact Fred Clark at 512-450-4398.
- Footprints Children’s Grief Ministry. Footprints offers 10-week workshops to children in the community who have suffered the loss of a loved one through divorce or death. These classes help the children work through their grief from a “You are not alone” aspect. The workshops are offered free of charge to the children and their families. If you would like to donate, go to the website, fpcgm.org.
- Help Feed our Children—The First Church Backpack Project needs YOU! This coming school year we will be serving Wells Branch and Bluebonnet Elementary. This project takes a small commitment and means so much. To learn more, contact Terri Bowden at email@example.com.
- Meals On Wheels — Adopt A Route. M.O.W. provides hot, home-delivered meals, five days a week to those, due to illness, age or disability, are unable to provide proper nutrition for themselves. We begin deliveries at 10:30 am, Monday—Friday, and a route takes less than 2 hours. We love to have families with children deliver meals and this could be a summer family mission project. Call Rose Dietrich to see where you can serve—512-255-4970. (Located at the Baca Center, 301 W. Bagdad).
- Senior Access Needs More Drivers. Go to their webpage, senioraccesstx.org or call 512-310-1060 to learn more about this community service to our elderly neighbors.
- Round Rock Area Serving Center Needs Your Help! Volunteers are needed! Can you give just 3 hours per week? There are a variety of jobs. One is right for you! Great for service hours! New volunteer orientation is on the 1st and 3rd Tuesdays at 4 pm; other orientations by special arrangement. 1099 E. Main St. Call 512-244-2431.
First Church Opportunities
- Dedicating the altar flowers. You may dedicate the altar flowers on Sunday mornings in honor or in memory of someone, or a special occasion. The arrangement costs $75.00 and our florist handles everything. We are still booking dates in 2018. Please call Wanell at 512-255-3336 to reserve your special date.
- Be a Communion Server. Please consider participating in the church as a communion server. We need volunteers for the Sanctuary and Crossroad Services. If you are interested and would like to receive information about this volunteer opportunity, please contact Rae Frenette, firstname.lastname@example.org, 512-255-3336.
- We Love Adult Volunteers in Children’s Sunday School. Preschool and Elementary Sunday School is made possible because of our wonderful volunteers! You will have the opportunity to teach or shepherd in Sunday School or Bible Buddies. We are seeking volunteers for 4-5 week rotations. All lessons and materials are provided. Contact Jennifer Hall, email@example.com or 512-255-3336,
- We are looking for a few GREAT Volunteers. Come volunteer with us in the office and learn more about your church, staff and the programs here. We have daily shifts 9am – 1 pm, and 1 – 4 pm and on the job training. Come join us. Contact Wanell Soslow, firstname.lastname@example.org or 512-255-3336.